Hello there friend!
You’re here because you want what’s best for your kids.
And if you're like me, you might wish you could go back to a simpler time when walkie-talkies were considered high-tech!
You long for the days of sending kids out the door while calling out, “Be back in time for dinner!” instead of finding them in the basement glued to yet another game of Minecraft with friends they haven’t seen in person for days on end.
You dream of kids who wake up in the morning excited about digging into the latest Enola Holmes or picking up with that 1000-piece puzzle instead of hopping from one YouTube video to the next.
Here’s what you do know...
You’re committed to raising kids who rise above the digital status quo.
And yet you find yourself wondering…
...if it’s possible to enjoy the benefits of technology as a family without embracing its dark side?
…can your family use tech as a tool, without becoming another tech-tethered statistic?
...how can your family make meaningful connections and lasting memories without leaning on a device every second of the day?
Hi, I'm Andrea Davis,
Mom to 5 and a former Secondary Ed. teacher turned screen-time-navigator for families who are ready to parent from a place of confidence, not fear. Parents who are willing to delay devices AND teach their kids how to have a healthy relationship with technology.
I believe we don’t have to battle tech. We have to create boundaries with it and then, empower our kids to use it wisely so when they go out in the world, they’re better prepared, they know what to expect and they are ready to handle the challenges and the consequences.
I believe in hope and guilt-free parenting. We already have a lot to deal with. The last thing you need is someone shoving more to-dos on your plate.
You need a fellow mom who understands it’s okay to not have everything figured out all the time.
You need a researcher who finds what you absolutely need to know about so you can stop paying attention to the fear-mongering that media outlets can indulge in.
You need a friend who happens to have a framework she’s tested on her family.
I’m that friend, that researcher, that mom.
As a mom to 5 kids, ages 8 to (almost!) 18, I’m right there in the trenches with you.
I’m personally invested in figuring this out.
I get to do this FIVE times! #sendchocolate
You’re tired of everyday screen time battles and struggles—seeing your kids spend hours on YouTube consuming mindlessly instead of creating intentionally makes your heart ache.
You’re exhausted with the micromanaging and the reactive, knee-jerk, yell-at-the-kids “protocol” that kicks in each time you see screens go up.
BUT… you don’t want your tech battles to drive a wedge between your kids and you.
You need a fresh take, a healthy approach, an effective way to set clear guidelines and turn down the volume on the tech noise that’s currently drowning out all conversation in your home.
The struggle is definitely real and parent-to-parent, I can tell you this…
Tech is here to stay.
(Battles over tech, however, are totally optional)
Tech is everywhere—school, on the way to school, friends’ houses, playgrounds! And let’s be honest…with us, too. We’re on our phones way more than we want to be, right?
Did you know that 68% of parents say they are distracted by their smartphone when spending time with their kids?
(Pew Research, Parenting Children in the Age of Screens)
And by age 11, 53% of kids in the U.S. have their own smartphone.
(Common Sense Media, 2019 Common Sense Census)
On average, children spend a whopping 7 hours a day on screens, not including school screen time.
(Common Sense Media, 2019 Common Sense Census)
Kids today spend less time outdoors than prison inmates.
Yup, I said that. Kids spend an average of 12 minutes outside per day, while inmates get at least two hours. I wish I were joking.
(Seattle Children’s Research Institute)
In an effort to avoid becoming another screen time stat, you've likely tried...
- threatening your kids by taking away screen time
- bribing your kids by using screens as a reward
- or you've decided to bury your head in the sand and hope you will survive it all
You might be convinced that we would all be better off if this tech problem would just go away. I hear you loud and clear! I used to think that, too.
However, one day I experienced a mindset shift when I read this line from parenting expert, Richard Eyre:
I stood a little taller that day.
I loosened my grip.
I felt calmer.
From that point on, I chose to lead my family to better screen time and you can, too.
It’s time to shift your mindset
from "I have to figure this out all by myself and come up with all of these rules"
to “I can do this together with my family.”
"I felt like we were battling a lot, and I didn't have a lot of answers."
Shae, mom of 5, shares how Creating a Tech-Healthy Family helped her kids have buy-in to the family tech plan.
GET THE ANSWERS YOU NEED FOR $247
Teaching our kids how to run from porn, do homework without checking YouTube, use their imagination instead of a screen, or put down a device and look someone in the eye is an opportunity.
An opportunity to actually bond with our kids instead of pushing them away.
When we teach our kids, we teach our family's values
and build a strong relationship.
When we approach tech as a family, we remove screen time battles from the equation.
Instead, discussing tech and boundaries around tech can be as natural (and fun!) as discussing your next family vacation.
Don’t outsource the opportunity to manage tech
to more tech, friend.
You Are Your Child’s Best Teacher.
Creating a Tech-Healthy Family
A family-tested, research-backed formula for overwhelmed parents who want to end screen-time battles and keep their family grounded in a tech-saturated world.
It’s time to finally sigh with relief and feel confident about raising kids who thrive in a tech-heavy world.
It’s time to be proactive about preparing your kids to sidestep the pitfalls of tech.
It’s time to have an easy yet effective approach to deal with screen time as a family with:
• A proven framework for creating a family tech plan. Not a cellphone contract. But a plan that works for the family, created by the family.
• Strategies for personal and family boundaries around devices. Boundaries don’t mean you don’t use screens at all—you’re just intentional about it.
• Confidence to help you feel in control of the tech in your home.
• More connection with your kids.
• Laying the groundwork for the teen years. More access and more freedom doesn’t have to mean leaving family values in the dust. Discover how you can instill lasting values without turning into the resident dictator.
• Peace of mind knowing you’ve prepared your kids. Even when they head to college, you rest easy knowing they’ll make smart, safe decisions about their tech use.
"Andrea has thought of everything.
She provides ample resources with very practical examples."
Kevin, father of 5, led his family in creating a family cheer to remind his kids of their identity as masters of their devices.
ENROLL NOW for $247
- Lesson 1: Welcome! (0:54)
- Lesson 2: Taking Care of Yourself (3:06)
- Lesson 3: Who's in the Driver's Seat—You or Your Phone? (1:29)
- Lesson 4: Let Go (of Guilt) and Lead (3:06)
- Lesson 5: The Power in Your Pocket (3:20)
- Lesson 6: Healthy Tech Habit Hacks (9:18)
- Lesson 7: Emotions Over Emoji's (4:47)
- Lesson 8: Time-Outs for Tech-Neck (5:21)
- Lesson 9: Ditch Digital Distractions—Step by Step (10:47)
- Lesson 10: Love in Your Home Over Likes on Your Phone—Social Media Boundaries (7:01)
- Lesson 11: Screen-Free Sanctuaries & Sabbaticals (10:52)
- Lesson 12: Work at Home: From Laundry to Laptop (7:33)
- Lesson 1: Welcome! (4:08)
- Lesson 2: Reward Your Kids with Your Time, Not Screen Time (6:46)
- Lesson 3: Building Bridges of Trust (6:02)
- Lesson 4: The Family Tech Report Card: A Family Screen Time Evaluation (2:34)
- Lesson 5: Review the Research (5:01)
- Lesson 6: Digital Dangers: Pornography, Cyberbullying, Online Predators (18:27)
- Lesson 7: Persuasive Design and Your Child's Brain (7:33)
- Lesson 8: Tackling Tech Time Limits with Different Ages & Stages (10:17)
- Lesson 9: Is There a Way to Make Screen Time Better? (4:42)
- Lesson 10: Delay and Decide on Cell Phone Readiness (7:40)
- Lesson 11: Guardrails for Gaming (8:21)
- Lesson 12: Safety on Social and Permission to Say Not Yet (6:27)
- Lesson 1: Welcome! (2:21)
- Lesson 2: Values—Your Child's Internal Filter (6:08)
- Lesson 3: Protecting Kids From Seeing What Can't Be Unseen (7:46)
- Lesson 4: Your Family's Purpose and Plan (6:24)
- Lesson 5: Boundaries Are Better Than Band-Aids (3:45)
- Lesson 6: Avoiding Tech Tantrums (Little and Big Kids!) (5:32)
- Lesson 7: Teaching and Transitioning as Kids Get Older (7:16)
- Lesson 8: Screen-Free Sanity for Exhausted Parents (7:07)
- Lesson 9: When Screens Have Taken Over: Reset & Repair (4:30)
- Being the Governor, Gardener, and Guide in the Digital Era with Kathy Keller Jones (80:57)
- Helping Children Develop an Internal Filter with Kristen Jenson (102:38)
- How to Monitor, Mentor, and Be Mindful with Katey McPherson (73:59)
- How to Help Your Kids Turn Off the Screen and Turn to Their Family with Stacy Jagger (67:35)
- Gamer to Leader with Spencer Sessions (89:01)
Module 1: Welcome Students
This module helps you see the "tech problem" as a chance to teach and connect with your kids. You'll learn about the benefits of Better Screen Time's 5-Step Action Plan, the course layout, and how to pace yourself to finish the course in four weeks (only 2 hours per week). At the end of this module you'll be excited and committed to completing the entire course!
Module 2: Your Relationship With Tech as a Parent
Before we can teach good tech management skills to our kids, we have to understand and use them ourselves. This module teaches you how to step into the Driver's Seat with tech so you can model healthy tech habits for your kids without becoming a "killjoy." At the end of this module, you'll feel more connected to your kids, have more focus and patience (digital distractions begone!) and know how to replace likes on your phone with love in your home.
Module 3: Your Relationship With Your Partner & Tech
Parenting is a team sport and your tech management is no different. In this module, you master the art of making proactive, on-the-same-page decisions when it comes to managing tech so you can present a united front to your kids. Even if you don't always agree with each other. Armed with Discussion Points, you'll always be prepared for hard conversations and can end "battles" before they begin.
Module 4: Your Family's Relationship With Tech—Part 1
This is where it all comes together. You move through the first 3 steps of the tech-family formula. You place family time high on the priority list and PROMOTE CONNECTION. You PAUSE and fill out your Family Tech Report Card and use it as a tool to have honest conversations about your family's tech use. You PREPARE for life in the screen-age and use research-based, expert-led information to drive the inspiration for restoring family time. Minus screens.
Module 5: Your Family's Relationship With Tech—Part 2
It's time to PROTECT our kids and create both internal and external filters to help our kids thrive. You empower your kids to build their own value system so they can live their values online and offline. Finally, we put PRACTICE into play with hands-on strategies like systems and boundaries for the home so you can be intentional about screen time and avoid tech tantrums. You'll learn how to handle screens as your kids grow and how to reset and repair your connection with your kids when things don't go as planned.
Module 6: Celebrate!
Time to celebrate the connection, the growth, and the joy of coming together as a family. It's time to enjoy that quiet confidence and peace-of-mind that comes from knowing you've prepared your kids for life in a digital world.
Eric & April Perry, founders of
Learn Do Become
Andrea and Tyler have created a MUCH-needed resource for parents and families at Better Screen Time. Their suggestions and strategies are principle-based and easily applied to a busy family life--but more than anything, they are helping parents around the world to see that they are not alone in wanting their families to use screens wisely.
Heidi Doxey, mom of 5
I love that Andrea is in the thick of it just like I am. I know that she’s researched this important topic and read from the best books so I trust her advice and expertise!!! Her courses are such a great way to get over your fears and take action regarding technology use in your home.
Rachel Nielson, Podcaster,
3 in 30 Takeaways for Moms
Andrea is a masterful teacher. She designs powerful questions and reflection activities to get her audience to the heart of complex issues. Her presentations and courses inspire collaboration, conversation, and accountability. She has a gift for developing curriculum that is truly unique and effective. Her work has changed my family, and I know it will change yours too.
GET ANSWERS LIKE THESE PARENTS DID FOR $247
The course makes it easy with
• SIX parent-tested modules designed to be completed quickly so you can develop a healthier relationship with your own device and be on the same page with your partner about tech guidelines for your family.
• Tools and resources to create a Family Tech Plan that brings your family together instead of driving everyone crazy and further apart.
• An easy-access audio version of the course so you can listen to the course while folding the laundry or doing the dishes. You don’t need to carve time out for this.
• A “Tyler Teaches Tech” library so you can safeguard your kids and set up a safe tech environment without getting tangled in the complexities of figuring it out yourself.
• A library of our family’s fave printable resources so you never run out of ideas for taming the tech.
• The digital version of our book - Creating a Tech-Healthy Family which is the perfect companion guide to the course.
You get everything you need to keep your family connected the old-fashioned way.
Reducing screen time, restoring family time and raising kids who thrive?
That job doesn’t have to feel hard.
That can be easy.
BEHIND-THE-SCREEN GROUP CALLS WITH ANDREA
In these quarterly LIVE calls, we'll discuss the latest digital dangers and have plenty of time for Q&A. The replay will be available inside the course within 48 hours of the call.
The entire course is now available in a private podcast. Listen and learn while waiting in the car for soccer practice to end, preparing dinner, or going for a run!
TRACK YOUR PROGRESS
A lesson checklist to help you stay on track so you know exactly what to do next to keep the tech in check and stay connected to your kids.
"Because we had taken the course, and written the script, we were prepared for this exact conversation."
After completing Creating a Tech-Healthy Family, Ashley was ready to respond confidently and calmly when her son asked for a cell phone just a few months later…
You’re protected at all times by my “Look Around and See Who You Can Help" Guarantee
As a former Secondary Ed. teacher turned stay-at-home mom who is the founder of Better Screen Time and the creator of this course, I take your trust in me very seriously.
I always tell my kids, “Just look around and see who you can help.”
This course was born out of that need to help fellow parents navigate the turbulent tech waters with something more than just a technological band-aid.
Which is why if you, at any time during the first 30 days of enrollment, feel that this course is not helping you to reduce screen time, restore family time, and raise kids who thrive, email me and I’ll refund your money.
Helping YOU create a stronger, richer, happier family experience is what I’m ALL about.
"I'm all over this!"
Ralphie Jacobs of Simply on Purpose is one of our all-time favorite parenting mentors. Check out her pantry door to see how she is using principles from the course to teach her family to be intentional with technology use.
“Will I have the time to complete the course?”
And other questions parents asked before signing up.
“Will I have the time to complete the course?”
Let’s see. Do you have two hours per week for 4 weeks to dedicate to your family’s well-being? Then, YES! My goal as a mom to 5 is to make this as easy to consume and apply as possible. And let’s be real… the grand total of 8 hours that you spend in going through the course will have a lifetime effect on your family’s mental health and emotional well-being. Small time commitment with big results. Right?
"What is the difference between the discussion guide, Creating a Tech-Healthy Family, and this course?"
Our Creating a Tech-Healthy Family discussion guide (on Amazon) is complimentary to the course, but is not the same! The guide includes ten must-have conversations to have with your kids. We've included a free digital copy of the guide in this course! You can start those discussions with your kids while you take the course (starting in Module 5) , or you can wait until you've completed the course.
“When does the course start and finish?”
The course starts now! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
"How long do I have access to the course?"
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
"What if I am unhappy with the course?"
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.
"What ages is this course for?"
This course is best for school-age children; ages 5–13, but can be done with all ages! We started these discussions with our five children, when they were ages thirteen down to three and have revisited the discussions as our kids have gotten older. We've found that when your oldest child is starting to ask for a cell phone, you'll feel compelled to have these discussions. But, we actually recommend you start earlier than that! Even if you are a no-tech/low-tech family, the world isn't, so our kids need our help now. This course will prepare you to model and teach your kids healthy technology habits when the time is right.
"How will this course help me change my technology use?"
Think of this course like your workout plan. I'll guide you through the exercises; but you will do the workout! I will show you how to change your mindset, environment, and habits so you can improve your technology use. Your changes might look different than mine, but the process is the same. These gradual tweaks in your technology habits will improve your sleep, relationships, and allow you more time for creativity and activities you love. On top of all of that, you will feel confident in your ability to lead your family to better screen time. I'll give you specific steps to help you guide your kids and to be aware of digital dangers. Our kids need our help. If not us, then who? Let's do this!
"How long will it take to complete the course?"
Since you have life-time access, you can take this as slowly or as quickly as you'd like, but we've designed the course to be completed in just 4 weeks! By spending only two hours per week, you can feel confident in your own tech habits and lead your kids to better screen time. (It took us much longer because we had to figure this out as we went. We just gave you several months of your life back and few less grey hairs!) We're excited for you!
Any more questions?
Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have any other questions about this course. I'm happy to help!